Thursday, May 26, 2011

Vacation pressure

Next week I'll be with my extended family enjoying a reunion of sorts at the beach. We do this every year, tradition you know. As it gets closer, I always start feeling that I'd rather not go. Oh, I always enjoy being with everybody . . . okay almost everybody. Do you get along with everyone in your family? Be honest now! That's not the point though. Just getting ready for vacation is a hassle. A week at the beach for at least 10 people, good grief, I have to cook one night. What am I going to make? And, oh my God, it's my father-in-law's birthday AND my in-law's anniversary. Gifts, I have to have a gift for both occasions. And every year I think wouldn't it be nice to make a quilty thing for them. Something like a beach landscape quilt or pillow. I'm leaning toward the pillow - landscape on one side and a couple of family pictures on the back. So when did I start this project? Two days ago. When do we leave? Three days from now. Do a little math . . . that's five days to get it done. RIGHT!  I scrambled around in my fabric stash for appropriate fabrics. Raided the local Hancock's and JoAnne's for fabric I didn't have. Gee having to go fabric shopping is such a chore . . . not! And then, yesterday I went out and bought them a gift. I gave up. I cannot put together a quilt in 5 days, much as I'd like to.

Last year, I almost got it done. I remembered early enough to actually get the darn thing together. It was the first time I'd ever done photos on fabrics. Followed all the directions to make sure the photos were washable since I was using a water soluble stabilizer. When all was done, dipped it in water to remove the stabilizer and the photos just started disappearing! AAARGH! I couldn't believe it. I'd show you photos but I didn't save them I was so upset. Maybe I'll start on this project when I get back from vacation so I'll have it for next year! Sounds like a plan.

In the midst of all this angst, I've been plugging away on the christening gown. I'm having so much fun with this, even though my seam ripper and I are getting to be very good friends! An example, I was being so smart in NOT following the directions to make the sleeves. I just couldn't see trying to sew around that tiny little sleeve, so I decided to wait to sew the side seams of the bodice and attach the sleeve first. Great idea, unless you sew the sleeve to the side seam. Hi Mr. Seam Ripper. The whole thing looks so much better when my little granddaughter would actually be able to get her arm into it. (She's not so keen on the getting dressed, change your diaper thing anyway. I shouldn't make it harder.)
With luck today I'll sew the bodice to the skirt. And then I need to figure out how to cover those seams. I want them to feel nice against the skin. That's assuming that I don't get distracted by something else that may SA(y) Quilt.
Shirley

No comments:

Post a Comment